Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardmuir

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2002
GB
Currently running Mandrake 8.2
the workstation works no problem for a couple of days then when i try to ssh from a network pc or logon to the console after putting in my password the connection freezes.
only a hard reboot fixes this

any ideas ??

Could be a power management problem? If you want to verify that, check out the thread54-159676.

To make sure it's a power issue, try to log to the local console, ping out on the interface in question, then try to connect to the same interface from outside. If works - the power management, if not - something else.

Sorry, cannot be more specific - havine the same problem! :)

Thanks - had a look but i dont think this is the issue as i actually get a connection but its only when i put in my password that the connections freezes
I actually left ROOT logged onto an X Sexxion on the console of the server and was unable to run a console from there. I then tried to shutdown and restart and the server hung.
Its almost like a memory leak or something like that
The server is only running
Apache
perl
mrtg
netsaint and
postfix for mail
nothing else ata all

Have you tried to recompile the kernel? I was told (I am far from being an expert in Linux), that large percentage of this king of problem are fixed by recompiling.

In any case - good luck!

i'd go for it being a power management issue too. it sounds like the hdd has powered off which prevents you logging in because it can't log/load anything. have a look in /var/log/messages after it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back