Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon failed - incorrect password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imakeoil

Programmer
Dec 20, 2008
US
I am running a command line utility that grabs a .rpt file, inputs the dates to run it for and spits out a .pdf.

Here is the command:
C:\Powerview\exe\mms_PrintReport.exe @rpt="C:\Powerview\rpt\Custom\DailyEmail\jpm_de_minekpi.rpt" @dsn="C:\Program Files\Common Files\ODBC\Data Sources\Powerview.dsn" @pvinst="C:\Powerview" @export="pdf" @destination="D:\DailyEmail\MineKPI.pdf"

The error log it produces states that the logon failed and when I check the sql server error log it says:
Login failed for user 'sa'
Error: 18456, Severity:14, State:8.

The state 8 error (according to what I learned on google) indicates the wrong password.

I have no problem running the .rpt from Crystal Reports 11. The password file is correct, so it is using the correct password.
The permissions on all the folders and the db allow sa to read/write/execute.

So what is the problem? I have been fighting this one for 3 days and am no closer to figuring it out. Thanks in advance.

The problem was that there was no password set on the data source .dsn file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back