Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

logon - cannot enable fastswitching or welcome 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITLady

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2002
US
I am attemping to turn on fastswitch and the logon welcome screen in windows xp pro. I have mulitple users on this machine. I have attempted to uninstall any programs I have thought would be the problem. I all the latest updates from Microsoft have been installed also. The option is not available and when I try, I receive the following message:

"A recently installed program has disabled the welcome screen and fast user switching. To restore these features, you must uninstall the program. The following name might help you identify the program that made the change: MsGina.dll"

The only option is to select "ok".

I am wondering how the check MsGina.dll to find out what program to uninstall?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Find MsGina.dll on your drive (normally dll files are located in \windows\system32 folder, right mouse click on it and open properties. Then select the version tab. This should tell you what company provided the dll. Also in the "other version information window" select product name and see what the value in the right window is. Hopefully those two steps will give you enough info to narrow the choices down in which program is affecting you. Jim

Elegant solutions are nice, but right now I'll settle for whatever works.

By any chance do you have pcAnywhere installed? I know that program has been known to cause that problem. I know because it's happened to me. Enkrypted
A+
Let others know how much help they are by marking the helpful posts.

SMAH....I went to the site you suggested and made the registry change & it worked!!
NCVANDY....I checked the file, it was the work of Microsoft!!

Thanks for your help!!

ITLADY~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back