Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

logins that should not be there in other databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

julius1

Technical User
Oct 31, 2002
US
I have created my secured db, I have created the security.mdw and I have everything running smooth, my problem now is that when I go to remove the admin password the secured db fails to open for me. If I put it back I wind up have to log into every database I have. I have a shortcut to the secured one, and I use that to log in, but how do I get the others to just open with out a log in prompt??

Never mind I found it, I created a new group on my PC and joined it instead, problem solved.

julius1, I am having this same problem. Can you explain with a little more detail as to how you resolved this problem. Every database I have is secured and I didn't intend it to be this way.

Thanks!

Ok, by default I found that there is not a work group located on your machine. The wrkgdm.exe is there but an actual group is not. Create one on your machine and then join it. This should fix the problem. By creating your own group and joining it, and if you created a short cut to the secured dataase, you will be promted to log in only to the database the short cut applies to. If you go the easy road and join the secured one each time you want to create the secured dataase, just remember to reassociate yourself to your local work group on your machine and use the short cuts for the databases they were created for, you should not have any problems. If you do just write back and let me know.

Okay, just to clarify, are you asking me to create a new Workgroup on my PC? The problem I have with this is that I am already a member of a domain. I am not positive, but I don't think I can be a member of both.

As a side question, do you know of a way to completely remove the security from a database once it is set up??

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this.

Restore the admin password as a null value on the secured database (go into it and make it a member of the admins group and on the log on change it so that there is no password for it), then delete the security for it, and the shortcut that ties into it. You can also take the secured copy and run the user level security on it and try just going into the back up copy, that one should be unsecured. you can then rename it as the old one. There may be a simpler way but I do not know of it.

As far as a domain type situation I am not sure about that then not a whole lot of experience on domain type networks. I am on a LAN though and have several servers with different databases on each one that are secured and some are not. Once I created a work group on my pc and joined it I did not have any problems.

Ok, by default I found that there is not a work group located on your machine. The wrkgdm.exe is there but an actual group is not.

This is incorrect. EVERY Access database opens through a security workgroup. Until you create a specific Workgroup, you open Access through the default workgroup System.mdw. Because this is a default, and there are no custom security features set, this workgroup opens transparently. That is, it opens but you do not see anything happening. If for some reason the default System.mdw file did not exist, the next time you tried to open Access the Access install program would automatically recreate the default file.

When you secure a database, you should create a completely new workgroup, using the workgroup administrator, and name it anything but System.mdw. When you open your secured database through a shortcut specifying your new workgroup, everything runs correctly.

By doing it this way, you do not affect the security settings on any other database. You can still open access without referring to the new workgroup file.

Okay, just to clarify, are you asking me to create a new Workgroup on my PC? The problem I have with this is that I am already a member of a domain. I am not positive, but I don't think I can be a member of both.

Domains are a part of the network set-up, and as such have no direct impact on Access security. The workgroups being referred to here are a part of Access, and are completely separate to, and have no interaction with, the network.

So you can create and join as many Access security workgroups as you like.

As a side question, do you know of a way to completely remove the security from a database once it is set up??

1 Make a backup copy of the database you want to remove security from.

2 Start Microsoft Access and log on as a workgroup administrator (a member of the Admins group).

3 Open the database.

4 On the Tools menu, point to Security, then click User And Group Permissions.

5 In the User And Group Permissions dialog box, give the Users group full permissions on all objects in the database.

Tip You can select all of the objects in the Object Name box at once by clicking the first item in the list, holding down SHIFT, and then clicking the last item in the list.

6 Exit and restart Microsoft Access, and then log on as the default Admin user.

7 Create a new blank database and leave it open.

8 Import all the objects from the original database into the new database.

9 If users will be using the current workgroup information file when opening the database, you need to clear the password for the Admin user to turn off the Logon dialog box for the current workgroup. This is not necessary if users will be using the default workgroup information file created when installing Microsoft Access.

The new database is now completely unsecured. Anyone who can open the new database has full permissions on all its objects. This works for any workgroup because the Admin user account and Users group account are the same in every workgroup information file, and all users, including the Admin user, are members of the Users group. The workgroup information file in use when the new database was created in step 7 defines the Admins group for the new database.

For more info on the details of Access security, check out these FAQs:

FAQ181-83
FAQ181-1131

HTH
Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back