Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loging on the domain takes ages with Win2003 Server 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonymcp

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2006
CY
One of the Networks I support has a peculiar problem. Users need ages to log on the domain sometimes it can take up to 4-5 minutes. Seldom less than 3. I have replaced the old peer-to-peer client-server situation my customer had with a brand new HP Compaq server running Win2K3 Server and since then all 5 workstations have this problem. Network has a 3COM router which was provided by somebody else before I started supporting them and which acts as a DHCP server as well since they get DSL broadband from the router. Could this be the problem? Has anybody seen or heard about this before?

Tony
AP CompuServices
MCP

Sounds like DNS issue. Do you have an internal DNS? If not, it is better to do so. this search result may help,

Windows slow issues
XP runs slow while logon 1 Why is XP running slower - no DNS issue 2. Checking lists for troubleshooting slow issue ...

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

Make sure the clients are configured to use the AD DNS for their DNS settings, and not some external DNS box.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

If I set up the clients to use local DNS will that not disable the internet connection they get through the router? This router was installed by somebody else and I do not have the password to access it so I thought I would ask for opinions first before I reset it. I usually use the Routing and Remote Access fewtures of the server and never had any problems even with 56k dialup. But this was the first time I had this problem.

Tony
AP CompuServices
MCP

Well, the DNS server should be configured with forwarders, so there should be no further config needed. The workstations should look at the server for everything.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back