Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login to win2000 domain takes too long 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodno

Programmer
Sep 10, 2002
NO
We run win2000 prof. on our clients and log on to a win2000 domain. After we changed from a NT domain to our new win2000 domain we have experienced problems with long login time.

When we login to the domain, it takes a long time while displaying the messages:
"Loading your personal settings"
"Applying your personal settings"

Our profiles are local profiles so I can't see why this should take so long. I can't see any security problems either because we do not use NTFS. I log in with administrator privileges and I have the same problem.

Is it looking for some setting from the old NT-domain profile?

Thanks.

Were there any profiles setup in NT4? Do you run DNS or WINS? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

We used local profiles in the old domain. We use both DNS and WINS.

I am also having the same problem ,,but the funny thing is it just started like 2 nights ago ,and I have been running Win 2k server for the last 6 months,,I have been running DNS ,with Active Directory,and WINS

Go to Microsofts website and look up creating a lmhost for the syntax >The fix Is to create a lmhost on the clients machine and put it in C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC,,Use text editor and create a file title it "lmhost" rename it to remove the TXT extension after you create it in that folder go to the CMD prompt and type nbtstat -RR and then nbtstat -c after you do this,,Go to network Places Go to TCP/IP properties go to the Wins Interface and make sure to enable lmhost lookup

Actually my lmhosts file had the wrong ip(thanks), but my problem has something to with the profile while logging on to the domain.

When we login to the domain, it takes a long time while displaying the messages:
"Loading your personal settings"
"Applying your personal settings"

Why is it loading and applying my persnonal setting when it is local and why does it take so long(about 90 sec.) It seams like it is trying to find the profile from somewhere, times out and the use the local profile. Is there a log I can look at to find out what is going on?

not sure if you have resolved this but ,I had some different issues that were associated with AD and DNS,,turns out when I installed WIN2k with Ad and DNS I did it off the internet,,,,therefore DNS thought it was a ROOT server <not good> I took DNS offline deleted all the files associated and Started DNS setup again ,,Now my server was not a Root server and I was able to do PTR's and other records,,On each 2000 client i just set the DNS server as the only server the client looks at ,,

I had to set the DNS server runing on my domain controller as the primary DNS on the clients to get a normal login time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back