Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login to Win 2000 Workstation at bootup Automatically 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

costigaj

IS-IT--Management
Mar 14, 2002
US
Hello

I reviewed the postings on thread616-72788 but I have a slightly different issue.

I have win2000 workstations located one per classroom at a school. I would like to have each workstation login with an ID correlating to the room number (ie ROOM101, ROOM102, etc.) automatically at bootup without having a Windows User Login Dialog. Is this possible? Is this something that can be setup using a group policy? Are there alternatives? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

go into the users tab and turn off the checkbox at the bottom of the advanced tab, and if not logged on as the right user, log off and log in under the desired username. After that it should automatically log you in

That option is not available if you're in a domain environment. To get this done to log into the domain, you have to edit the registry. Go to Start -> Run and type regedit and hit OK. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Make sure the following values exist as string types
AutoAdminLogon set to 1
DefaultDomainName set to your domain name
DefaultUserName set to the domain user name you want
DefaultPassword set to the password for that account

You will want to make sure you lock down regedit in c:\winnt and regedt32 in c:\winnt\system32 so that only administrators and SYSTEM have access to it, otherwise your users will be able to go see the passwords in plain text in the registry. Marc Creviere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back