Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login stops at applying internet explorer branding policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcsmurf

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2002
GB
I have windows 2000 sever and have just installed MDAC2.8 from Microsoft. After rebooting i login and can't any further than applying internet explorer branding policy. If I try via terminal services connect I get the same.
If I crash the login and try again via terminal service or from the console it logs in but does not show any desktop icons. The server can't be used, it will not load control panel etc.
I can load windows explore, but nor program files or winnt directory it freezes. I can remote mange but can't stop any services.

As far as the end users are concerned all is ok as file and print sharing works fine.

Any ideas as to why the server will not long on and the when it does after crashing the log on it does not work, nor show desktop icons?

try reinitialising the security template on the server...

Import the setup security template and apply the database to the server

Aftertaf
We shall prevail, and they shall not

Ok im using a group policy, but don't have the same problem with the other win2k servers and my user account or the admin account. I have tried creating a new user for the server and get stuck at applying internet explore branding policy when login on.

Can you elaborate on your suggestions.

yeah, sorry :)

wasn't very explicative!

here's one i prepared earlier...

Check the Application Event log for SceCli Warnings with an event code 1202.
This means the local security policy needs reinitialising

Procedure:
Preparation
1. Go to c:\winnt\security
2. Move all the .log files in this directory to a temporary directory
3. Go to the database subdirectory and rename the secedit.sdb file to secedit.old

MMC Console
4. Then open an MMC console (mmc.exe) and add the Security Configuration and Analysis snap-in. Choose Action>Open database.
5. Create a new database called secedit.sdb in the c:\winnt\security\database directory and import the setup security.inf template
6. Choose Action>Configure Computer to apply these new settings.

Reboot the PC and check the Application Event Log
There should be an informational log entry SceCli code 1704 saying the policy has successfully been applied.

Aftertaf
We shall prevail, and they shall not

Thanks for the help, but i have no error event iD 1202 on event id 1704 for the period the server went wrong to present day.

Any more ideas on how to proceed??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back