Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

login slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

pranesh11

Technical User
Dec 4, 2003
IN

Hi

I have linux box in my lan, iam doing telnet to linux box from many windows.. it takes time to get the login prompt after giving telnet.. if i put an entry in /etc/hosts it is fast but i hv more than 200 windows pc's in the lan and its not possible to put all 200 entries in /etc/hosts.. is there any way ? i need to get login prompt quickly

Any other alternative ?? more than 200 pcs i hv..

at the host you connect to with telnet, look into the /etc/nsswitch.conf, if your hosts first looks into the /etc/hosts file for an Client or if he contacts the DNS. Maybe this will help you.

# /etc/nsswitch.conf:
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/nsswitch.conf,v 1.4 2002/11/18 19:39:22 azarah Exp $

passwd: compat
shadow: compat
group: compat

# passwd: db files nis
# shadow: db files nis
# group: db files nis

hosts: dns files <----
networks: files dns

services: db files
protocols: db files
rpc: db files
ethers: db files
netmasks: files
netgroup: files
bootparams: files

automount: files
aliases: files

Putting 200 PCs in /etc/hosts takes only a few seconds. It doesn't care what the entries are so just make a for loop to create the whole address range of your PCs.

The whole operation takes less than a minute.

Cheers

If you have a firewall you may want to see if hes blocking dns queries. I had the same things with ssh, my firewall was to strict and I have to wait after entering my password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back