Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login Scripts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

network

MIS
Nov 5, 1998
US
How would I setup a logon script on NT Server. I need to an efficient way to setup. Can anyone help?

First, decide what you need the script to do. 2nd, write the script (using the .bat extension). 3rd, insert a copy of the script into the winnt/system32/repl/import/scripts folder. This is the "netlogon" share seen in network neighborhood under each domain controller. 4th, specify the script in each users profile.<br>
<br>
If you're just mapping network drives, a sample script would look something like this -<br>
<br>
NET TIME \\&lt;SERVER NAME&gt; /SET /YES<br>
NET USE &lt;DRIVE LETTER ON CLIENT&gt;: \\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME<br>
<br>
Repeat the "net use" command for each share you want mapped on the client.

Thanks NTWhiz. This should help. Script definition has not been defined as of yet, but I want to be prepared. Once again, Thanks.

FYI more uses for login scripts:<br>
<br>
I use a simple xcopy in login scripts to update anti-virus software definitions from a server source:<br>
<br>
xcopy \\&lt;server name&gt;\&lt;source sharename&gt; c:\&lt;av definitions location&gt; /d<br>
<br>
I only need to keep the server source up to date; the /d switch only copies the files if the server source is more recent.

network-If this server is in an NT domain, be sure to put the script in the NETLOGON (\winnt\system32\repl\import\scripts) of ALL domain controllers. Common mistake is to put it only on the PDC. It's gotta be in the BDC's as well.

Thank you all for the great responses.... it won't be long now..

No one mentionted this so I will. A wonderful tool for writing NT logon scripts for workstation and 95/98 clients is KixTart. This is not technically supported by Microsoft even though it is included in the NT Resource Kit. To get the latest version of KixTart, go to Download version 3.5 and print out the documentation. I think you will find this very full featured and helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back