Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login screen sloooooowwwwww

Status
Not open for further replies.

fs1

Technical User
Jul 22, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a Dell Precision 330 that I recently replaced a HDD on. Everything seems to be fine, except that when the user gets the the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen and enters user ID and password, the PC takes anywhere from 6-8 minutes to login. I have checked BIOS settings, NIC card settings and can't come up with any reason why this is taking so long to login. Any suggesstions? Thanks.

I am assuming this PC is networked, you might try this

As you are experiencing extremely long delays (up to 5 minutes) when logging into domains using Windows XP Pro. This can be caused by the asyncronous loading of networking during the boot up process. This speeds up the login process in a stand-alone workstation by allowing the user to log in with cached logon credentials before the network is fully ready.

To disable this "feature" and restore your domain logons to their normal speed, open the MMC and add the group policy snap-in. Under Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->System-->Logon, change "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" to ENABLED.

You can feed to clients via a GPO from a Windows server by upgrading the standard policy template with the XP policy template. Since this is an XP only command, non-XP systems will ignore it in a domain distributed group policy.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Under Services look for the WIA Service and set it to MANUAL...

There is the Possibility that the WIA service is taking it's time...

if the PC is not on a NETWORK, you may want to set the IP adress from dynamic (ergo windows sets it = long time) to static (fixed = short time) in the range of 192.168.x.y

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Go to start, run, then type msconfig. When system configuration utility comes up click on the startup tab. Look those items up or type them on here and then go through and uncheck the ones that dont have to be running. This can cause the computer to take forever to load because unless you have did this it will be loading 70 percent of what you installed such as messengers, music progams, burning programs etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back