Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login prompt message

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2002
IL
Does anyone know which file is used to display a message at the login prompt? For example:

Welcome to ABC company's RS6000

login:

I know about motd; that's displayed after you login. I want to display a welcome message at the login prompt. Thanks in advance,

-Rob

Hi Rob, I don't know of a way to do this, but I do know that it's frowned upon from a security point-of-view, as it possibly gives potental hackers a jump start if they know where they are before logging in!

In the file /etc/security/login.cfg you can set "herald" to the string you want to appear instead of "login:".

example:

herald = "Welcome to ABC Company's RS600\n\nlogin: "

review /etc/security/login.cfg for more information.

That's it! Thanks Wab62. Also thanks to KenCunningham; I will try to convince my management to not display the company name.

For security purposes it is safest not to reveal information about the OS and version/release (e.g, AIX 4.3)or the hardware information (e.g., RS6000).

"Welcome to ABC Company" is fine, but I would recommend excluding the RS6000.

And for what it's worth...

For further security/legal reasons it may be wiser to display, "Unauthorized access prohibited." in your herald.

While I cannot confirm this to be true, I've heard that a hacker did manage to break into a system, and since the herald displayed "Welcome" he was not succesfully prosecuted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back