Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patiwaq

MIS
Dec 12, 2001
US
I need advice. I have a remote office with major issues thats driving me nuts.

Environment = Novell 3.2
Clients = win98 and XP machines

I have a couple of win98 machines that at least 1x a week, when they login, the registry changes back to an origional configuration. Any change that I make to fix their problem reverts back to broken after a few days.

Example- Upgraded to IE 6.0 3 days later the computer reverts back and IE 5.0 is the browser.

Example - Installed Office 2k...a few days later when launching Word..it asks for the install disk.

Example- When launching Internet Exploror - proxy settings on connection properties is checked. Unchecking allows user to surf internet which is needed for her job.

Example - Windows exploror displays a gray panel on the left side of screen. Restored the registy file to fix...4 days later registry is back to origional and gray panel is back...

No viruses are found on machines and the common thread is loging into the Novell 3.2 box.

Does anyone know what file etc is causing this and what I can do to fix it??
Thank you in advance for any help.

the netware 3 box will not do this - it's not smart enough to do this kind of thing

Typically I would agree with Terry and say that Netware won't do this. But I have seen some goofy setups where the Windows profile was being copied to the server, and then the workstations would pull that info down whenever they logged in. This might be what is happening.

Still though, this is not a Novell problem.. it's a badly configured Windows setup.

I would check home directories on the server and see if you see folders in there that duplicate what is in a typical windows profile setup like Start Menu, etc. Then you'll at least know where to start looking to resolve this.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Are you using ZenWorks? Probably not, if the 3.2 server is your only server, but if you have other Netware servers that could run ZenWorks, it can do this. Otherwise, I'd have to agree with the other folks, it's a Windows problem. I have seen this happen, but only in mixed environments, where a sysadmin inadvertantly set some kind of profile settings in their Windows servers.

Iolair MacWalter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back