Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login Failed -- newbie question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cityboy3

Programmer
Nov 6, 2002
US
I'm sorry if this is a no-brainer. I'm brand new to AS.

I've installed AS on a local workstation and I'm trying to build a cube that connects to data on a SQL Server in the same domain. When I set my data source, everything seems fine, i.e. the Test Connection works and I'm able to browse rows in my fact table while I define the cube.

However, when I try to process the cube, I get a Login Failed message:

Data source provider error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'RH\PC3$'

The login ID that it's using is the name of my workstation, not my login ID (we're using Windows authentication on our SQL Servers). Was I supposed to configure the data source separately? Or does AS have to be installed on the same server in order to work? Some other thing?

thanks,
michael

Hi,

To my knowledge you can't use Analysis Manager to connect to a remote server as you can with Enterprise Manager and Query Analyser.

The best way around it is to install AS on your SQL server and then RDP to the server and use Analysis Manager etc locally.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Leigh

"Give a man a fish and he can feed himself for a day..."
Give him the means to catch his own fish and he can really annoy his partner by spending all his spare time fishing!

Thanks. I was on a wild goose chase trying to figure this out.

So does that mean, if I want to set up some cubes for end users, that I'd have to build everything on the server and tell them to RDP in order to use the cubes? seems odd...

Why don't you provide SQL Server Authentication in AS data source instead of windows authentication.
Give it a try.. as it works for me.

HTH

You can infact configure AS to connect to remote servers as long as they are in the same DOMAIN. You must configure youre AS Data Source seperately. Ensure that both your SQL server and AS server are running the Same SP level as having diffrent versions of mdac running can sause a number of problems. I would configure your SQL server to audit logins so that you can see what the AS is trying to login as.

Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back