Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login Failed for users '(null)' - SQLEXPRESS 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 3, 2001
US
Hi,

I'm getting the following errors in my event log on my print server, which for some reason has SQLEXPRESS installed on it. It's running Windows Svr 2003 sp1:

Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS
Event Category: (4)
Event ID: 18452
Date: 3/6/2007
Time: 8:32:22 PM
User: N/A
Computer: GREYHOUNDS
Description:
Login failed for user ''. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

this makes no sense to me. Whatever it is, though, is making my print server lock up at random, so that my users cannot send print jobs. I have to restart the spooler service to get things moving again.

I've googled for this error and found suggestions to enable 'mixed mode' authentication... but since it's SQLEXPRESS, I can't get in to change the authentication type b/c I don't have the management tools to do so.

any suggestions would be appreciated!!

I have seen this error when the server is not a member of the domain and someone tries to connect using Windows Authentication or the windows user is from another domain where there is no trust to the domain the server is on. If you don't have the SQL Tools I don't think your going to be able to correct it. Can you install the tool set?

- Paul [batman]
- If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

the machine in question IS a member of my domain, and always has been.

I've installed the Management tools on my workstation, but it won't let me register a remote computer in the console (????). Apparently my print server doesn't meet the minimum hardware requirements for me to install the tools locally.

not sure what's going on - with the 2000 version Enterprise manager, I could remotely administer a SQL server with no problem. But since this is 2005, i'm not familiar with it.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back