Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logging web site usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatherJack

Programmer
Aug 29, 2000
GB
Our company has an intranet running on IIS4. I need to get statistics from the server regarding most popular pages etc. I have tried to ste the logging to ODBC and created an ODBC DSN for the file. The system has created an access mdb but it is empty.
How should i proceed? I do not want to go through the grief of writing a VB app to open the logfiles and import them into Access. All information gratefully received. [sig][/sig]

If you have installed MS Site Server Express (part of the option pack) then you have some apps that will read in log files and produce loads of nice graphs and so on from them. You can even set it up to run on a scheduled basis. Check out the help for it.

As to why your access db is empty, I have no idea... I followed the instructions in the option pack help, and it worked fine. Go through and double check all the settings (including your table structure in the db).

Hope this helps.
[sig]<p> Jonathan<br><a href=mailto:j.w.george@virginnet.co.uk>j.w.george@virginnet.co.uk</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Working with: Visual Basic 6, Access 97, Visual Interdev 6, VBScript, Active Server Pages, SQL Server 6.5, Oracle 7[/sig]

Just use standard W3C or IIS logging. If you don't wan to use site server express then you can just import this data into Access/sql server manually. W3C logging gives you more options and control over the log file. Crytsl Reports also gives you the ability to create reports directly from these log files if you don't want to use site server express or use access/sql server.

James :) [sig]<p>James Culshaw<br><a href=mailto:jamesculshaw@active-data-solutions.co.uk>jamesculshaw@active-data-solutions.co.uk</a><br><a href= Active Data Solutions</a><br> [/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back