Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logging record changes made in frontend databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

domino3

MIS
May 20, 2003
GB
I am responsible for a database which has been split into one backend and various frontends. One of the users has been saying that some of the work she has been inputting is being lost, but with no examples of what or when. Is there any way of logging all the changes to records that are made on the backend database, and which frontend they have come from?

You could possibly do all your updating via queries (rather than letting users edit the table directly), and update a date/timestamp (and field for front end making the change) when data is changed?

HOpe this helps,

Alex

A wise man once said
"The only thing normal about database guys is their tables".

These may be of interest:
Transaction Log for Ms. Access
faq181-291
Transaction Logs / Audit Trail
faq181-2399

i think FAQ181-291 is beyond me, and FAQ181-2399 does not seem to be available now.

However, is it possible to have a macro or event that, after a field in a form is updated, appends a new record to a different table?

So, if I have a table called "details" and a field called "notes" is filled in on it, a record could automatically be appended to a table called "log" with the date and the initials of the person entering the information which would all be lifted from fields in the "details" form.

You can run an append query in the After Update event of your form. I think you will find that this is what FAQ181-291 does. It should run pretty much 'as is' requiring little more than the creation of the two tables described in the FAQ and a cut-and-paste of the code into a module. As for FAQ181-2399, try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back