Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logging onto network drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayE

Technical User
Jun 23, 2001
GB
Hi,

I'm setting up Windows 98/Me clients (using laptops) to log onto an NT server (SBS 4.5) via dial-up networking on the client end and connecting to server using RAS.

I have successfully got a connection and also connected to Exchange server to send/receive e-mail, etc.

All I cannot do is access the network drives. The users trying to log on already have network connections on their desktop PCs which work perfectly, the problem is just with the dial-in access.

Our IT support company initially said it was because NETBUI wasn't installed, so I did this - no difference. Another said that I may need to type the server name/path for the network drives in Start/Run dialog box to get to them - no difference.

I'm there there must be something really obvious I need to do to access the drives, because everything else is working.

Please can you assist?

Regards,
Jay/UK

Your name resolution (WINS/DNS) may not be configured correctly for the dial-in users. Try and see if (once dialed in) you can perform name resolution. I.e try browsing or pinging and machine name to see if it is resolved to an IP address.

If you are logged in to the domain and have name resolution you should be able to map network drives (with the appropriate permissions of course).

Hi,

I'm afraid I don't know what WINS/DNS really is, or indeed "name resolution".

However, I assumed the fact that I could access Exchange server for e-mail, etc should mean that the server sees the machine and my machine can see the server - so I thought seeing network drives would be automatic.

I did try pinging another machine on the network, also the server, both successful.

Not sure how to find out the IP address of the laptop itself so I could try pinging from the server or another workstation - if I need to do this, of course.

The user DEFINITELY has access rights to network folders, as she uses desktop machine with the same login.

Can you assist further?

Regards,
Jay/UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back