Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logging on to a Domain Controller Locally

Status
Not open for further replies.

narineh

MIS
Jun 19, 2002
US
Ok I am in a jam here, I can't log on to my Domain Controller Locally. I know about the Domain Controller Security Policy that allows limitations to this, and I have looked at it. This did not solve my problem and I don't know why.

When at the CTRL+ALT+DEL Screen, for the Domain option it will not let me select my Local Computer.

Please helllppp.

Thanks

Narineh,

You cannot log onto a DC locally. Once the machine is a DC, the only logon possible is into the domain.

Patty [ponytails2]

you must logon to the dc with a domain account with admin privleges. A DC does not use a local SAM. Doomhamur
Network Engineer

"Certifications? we dont need no stinking certifiaction."
yahoo IM handle: greater_vortex

Narineh,

GrnEyedLdy is correct - but are you talking about logging normal (non-admin) users into the server machine?

Ash.

The problem is in your Domain Controller Security Policy. I know you've stated that you looked at this however, you need to look again and verify you, or a group you belong to is in the "log on locally" in this policy. Also make you that you are not listed in the "deny logon locally".

BTW how are you able to view/edit this policy without logging on to the Domain Controller?

HI,

You have noticed one thing after promoting to domain controller using DCPROMO you can see the "Local Users & groups" option get disabled on that server so you can't logon locally you have to login with domain admin account. Aslam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back