Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

logging on taking to network taking too long!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

deebaglee

Technical User
May 16, 2003
GB
hi i new user has been given an ex employees pc and is experiencing the following problem
when they log on woth the old users details it logs onto the network pretty quick however when the new user logs on with their user name it takes a hell of a lot longer to get conected!
please help ta

Hi, The first time a new user logs on it takes a little longer but only about 10 or 20 seconds longer because it has to create the profile. However I have seen on more than one occasion where the profile is corrupt. If you have data in the new profile (new user account) then login as the administrator and rename the new user account. For example say it is JonDoe remane to JonDoe2 or what ever you would like. Then login as JonDoe again and let it create a new profile. If there was data in the old Profile then just copy over all the date i.e. Documents, Favorites etc. Just in case you are not familier the profiles are stored in c:\Documents and Settings. If this does not fix it write back and we will take another stab at it:) Hope that helps.

great but strange why
well i know of that solution as i had a problem with a user not being able to log on so i was told by a member of this great site to do that .. i did it and it worked (best of all i did it for the operations manager loads of brownies points :) )
as i have not come accross this problem before i was wary of trying anything until i knew what the issue might be

ok i will try that thanks for the rapid response

sorry fuss about nothing!
probably down to the network traffic at the time the user was on
working fine now
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back