Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

logging into a Win2K machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

frameuser

Technical User
Jun 13, 2001
US
We have some Win2K machines that I'd like to be able to log into remotely. My own PC is WinXP.

I downloaded the Remote Desktop Connection app for the Win2K machines, and I can successfully log into my own PC remotely. But I can't go to my PC and log into the Win2K machines. (I'd thought that downloading the RDC would allow me to do that, but I think I misinterpreted something. Is it true that you can only use the RDC to remotely access an XP machine?)

Can something like TightVNC do what I want? Or is there some other option that I could use?

Rick Henkel
Senior Systems Developer

Remote Desktop Connection is a CLIENT, used to access a machine running terminal services (like XP Pro, Win2000 Server or Win2003 Server). There is no terminal services available for Win2000 Pro, you'll have to use either VNC (tightvnc, ultravnc etc), pcAnywhere or another 3rd party remote tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back