Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

logging in to outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

shazzam1

MIS
May 25, 2006
US
I would like my users not to have to enter domain\username every time they need to login to outlook. I can do this when they login to OWA. our environment is windows 2008--exchange 2007--outlook 2007

Any suggestion is appreciated.

-t

Thanks for the reply...

when we launch outlook it always prompts one for login ID and password, which is fine, but I don't want the users to have to enter the domain\username then their password. What I like for them to only enter the user name and password.

-t

Are they not logging onto the computer using their AD account?

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

One other tip.

Under accounts-->change-->more settings-->security-->user identification always prompt for logon credentioal is not checked..

Back to my original question - what does the login box say? It should say that it wants you to login to x. What is 'x'?

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

connect to our mailserver name

connecting to our mailserver name

username: we need to enter domain first then users ID for example microsoft\tony
password:

What I want to do is just enter the user id (tony) and password.

They shouldn't be prompted for credentials if they're logging into their computer with the same AD account that is used on their mailbox on Exchange. I'm confused as to why they're even being asked to login in the first place.

Are the users/AD accounts in the same domain as the Exchange server their logging onto via Outlook? If they aren't, then that's why they have to enter the domain credentials corresponding to the domain their Exchange mailbox is in.

There's something wrong with the Exchange setup then. A user that logs onto their computer with their AD account and then opens Outlook connected to an Exchange server in the same domain should not be prompted for credentials. They should pass through from the logon.

When you setup the users profile in Outlook, did it find their account and set it up automatically?

Hi Davetoo the answer to your question is yes when setting up the clients it finds the account and set it up automatically.

I am still not sure why I have to enter the domain name first?

in exchange management console under server configuration client access double click owa authentication tab logon format there are three choses

domain\user name
user principle name (UPN)
user name only

Is there a setting for outlook clients so the users can only enter their user name?

We have the same problem, but it's intermittent.
I believe ours may be caused by the Linux box and winbind.
I just get the users to use the UPN e.g email address to login.

MCITP:EA/SA, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCTS, MCP+I, MCP

I'm afraid I'm stumped. I don't know why your users are even being asked to provide credentials to Exchange since their on the same domain and logging in to their machines with their AD credentials which are the same for their mailbox.

HI,

Have you got outlook anywhere enabled - if you have just remove this option from one of the outlook users.

Tools, account settings,change, more settings,connection.

Remove the 'tick' from connect to microsoft exchange using http

If this helps then it may indicate a slow network issue

Cheers

I did however, on the right bottom corner it says disconnected and does not connect.

Hi,

It sounds like you outlook is trying to connect via outlook anywhere even when in the office

If it is prompting for a password i assume the authentication of your outlook anywhere is basic not NLTM

If you disable outlook anywhere and outlook does not connect (says disconnected in the bottom right) then i suspect you have a configuration problem.

Try to manually create a profile and manually put in your internal exchange server name an d select the user name and see if this work.

If it does then I think you have an issue with your autodiscover

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back