Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logging in to domain profiles when computer is unbound from domain server ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdom

MIS
Oct 5, 2005
US
Hi everybody: I've got a quick question regarding user profiles. Here's a quick rundown of what we've got:

A server running Windows Server 2003

Several desktop computers running Windows XP

We're putting a new server into the mix. We'll be upgrading to Windows Server 2008. Before I shut the server down, I'm planning to unbind all of the client machines from the domain and return them to a workgroup. Within a few weeks, the XP machines will disappear altogether and will be replaced with new Windows 7 machines.

All user profiles are stored on the local machine. Once I unbind a user from the domain, can they still use their same domain profile to log in when they are in workgroup mode? In other words, I don't want to have to create a new profile for them once I unbind them from the domain. Can I use the existing profile, or could I copy that profile to a new local profile? What I'm trying to avoid is to set up all of their settings again, especially Outlook. I just want them functional for a week or two until we get them on the new server with their new machines.

I'd be grateful for any help you might be able to provide. Hopefully I'm using the right terminology so you know what I'm asking. :)

Thanks again!

No, you will not be able to use the domain-user profile anymore if you unjoin the workstation from the domain. But if you leave the workstation in the domain but simply remove the domain controller, you should still be able to log on to the original profiles as the users, since it will cache the domain credentials. That should last you until you bring the new server in.

Here's what I would do: keep the old server online until you have brought the new 2008 server in. Join the new server to the existing domain, and make it a domain controller. Then retire the old server. That way you preserve the same domain and you don't have any disruption to the user profiles. Then you can export/import the profiles from the old systems to the new systems if you want, using a variety of tools.

I don't like the idea of falling back to a workgroup and losing your dc altogether.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back