Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logging help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibredbeard

IS-IT--Management
Jan 5, 2005
GB
Hi,
I ususally deal with a Nokia firewall and use checkpoint. But my company bought a small Cisco Pix Firewall 506E and I am having trouble with the logging feature. In the checkpoint I ususally go to smartview tracker than I can do a search of which IP I want to see, or the protocol, source, destination, any combination of them, etc. I can't seem to find this feature with the Cisco PDM 3.0 (4). I have enabled logging and I haved tried to setup a Syslog server (still not exactly sure what that is). Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Add these lines to your PIX config:
Code:
logging enable
logging timestamp
logging standby
logging console errors
logging monitor errors
logging buffered debugging
logging trap debugging
logging history warnings
logging host inside [inside IP-address]

Then download either KIWI syslog or 3CDaemon and install it on that same inside IP-address.
A syslog server is just a dedicated machine capable of receiving and storing syslog messages from the PIX.

A firm beleiver of the "Keep it Simple" philosophy
Cheers
/T

Thanks for the help. I managed to install the Kiwi Syslog server running so thats a start. I will try to add those lines as well. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back