Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

logging activity or force logoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen216

MIS
Jul 13, 2006
US
Hello Everyone,

I have a situation that I need a little help with. Our company uses a 3rd party time keeper, so users get in, logon to the 3rd party website and clock-in.

The problem we are having is some employees, running late, will call a friend to log them in. We have advised this is not acceptable, and that you must log in form your own computer.. ( I can pull Inet logs and match time punches on the webclock to the intet traffic)

the problem is now some of the suspected reps say they were in, but 'forgot' to punch in...

masnagement would like me to log when a user starts doing anything with their computer, but we do not force users to log off at night,, just lock the computer...

I have never been able to make the 'force logoff when logon hours expire' to actually work, and I do not want to force a shutdown/reboot of the computer every night..

Is there a way to log when a user 'unlocks' their computer? or maybe a 3rd party tool that would allow me to see all user activity..

that way if they say, I was here at 8, but forgot to punch in,, and we see that there was no activity at the computer until 8:30,, we can call them on it...

Thanks

The company I work for actually does this by tracking everything that the user does on the computer. The site is
It's not free, but it will do the trick.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)

My Blog

thanks,,, site look nice.. but looks expensive..
probably way too expensive for us..

Talk to the sales guys, I know they have some wiggle room on price. Only you could only buy it for the problem users and shift the licenses around as needed to help keep costs down.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back