Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logging a Linux workstation onto a Microsoft domain... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalRolly

Technical User
Aug 26, 2001
AU
Hi all...

Running RH8.0 on my workstation and I have smb all working... manually map microsoft network shares, get email off my exchange2000 server running Ximian mail client(IMAP)and print to the nessesary printers...
Plus I run Star office to work on the word and excel documents...

Now my question is...

Has anyone out there figured out how to get drive mappings to work through a log in script? Firstly so that I don't need to manually map the drives every time and that I don't have to set up a local user account on the linux workstation?

Reason for this is that I want to roll this out across my network... Primarily for cost reasons...

Any help, suggestions or do you know of anyone who has done this successfully??

I am so close but yet so far...

Thank you!

Rolly

Depending on how large is your rollout, this may or may not be the best solution.

1. create a credentials file with these 2 lines:
username=***
password=***

Replace the *** with your proper username & password. Save it either in the root folder or your own home folder. you can call it something like john.creds or sally.creds

2. edit the fstab file under the /etc and append a line like this to the end:

//servername/sharename /linux/mountpoint smbfs auto,credentials=[credentials file],uid=[you user UID]

Replace [credential file] with the absolute path to the credential file that you just created. e.g. if the file john.creds is located in the root folder then credentials=/root/john.creds

If you are the only user on your linux machine, then most likely your UID is 500. If multiple users use the same machine, you may want to use GID and lump all the users under respective groups.

You can have multiple lines like this to map to as many shares as you want at boot time.

Alternately, you may want to try LinNeighbourhood. It is simmilar to MS Network Neighbourhood. You could map a share from a windows machine and ask LinNeighbourhood to REMEMBER the connection.

Thanks zeland!

I will give it a go and let you know! :)

Many many thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back