Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Log.txt suddenly keeps appearing on my desktop even when deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

whosquicklier

Technical User
Jul 20, 2003
A very strange thing happened to me. Sometime in the past few days, a file called log.txt appeared on my desktop and keeps reappearing after deletion. It appears to log the programs open and possibly what commands they are using. Does anybody know what the deal is here?

Start, run, msconfig

Look in the Startup programs. Is there something odd or new there?

If I had to guess it is a wrongly configured spyware utility.

Well, doesn't look like anything new is there. Would it be helpful to list all of the entries?

Some freeware programs to help you trace anything that is starting without your permission.

StartupList 1.52 : The newest version of the efficient and effective program by Merijn that lists all and every autostarting app on your system. Checks Autostart folders, the Registry Run keys, Autoexec.bat, Stub Paths, ICQ Agent, Program extensions, Win.ini, System.ini, Wininit.ini, Wininit.bak, Winstart.bat, Dosstart.bat, as well as checking for duplicate instances of Explorer.exe and checking for superhidden extensions.

AutoStart viewer. A similar type tool. If you go here you might like to have a look at their brilliant Trojan scanner TDS-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back