Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Log Shipping Permissions Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agentstarks

IS-IT--Management
Apr 22, 2003
US
We're running SQL Server 2000 and I'm trying to set up Simple Log Shipping to have a "warm" secondary server. The permissions on it are driving me crazy and I want your input. The sp_ShipLog procedure works fine and will dump the transaction logs to a shared directory on the remote server. The sp_ApplyStandbyLog on the second server is failing with permissions problems. I get this error when it runs:

Executed as user: dbo. Backing up staging_database to DISK=\\devdb2\log_shipping$\staging_database\\staging_database_20051020_
0917_LOG.BAK [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 0) Processed 162 pages for database 'staging_database', file 'staging_database_Log' on file 1.
[SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 4035) BACKUP LOG successfully processed 162 pages in 0.237 seconds (5.582 MB/sec). [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 3014) Execute [devdb2].master.dbo.sp_ApplyStandByLog
N'staging_database',N'\\devdb2\log_shipping$\staging_database\\staging_d
atabase_20051020_0917_LOG.BAK',N'\\devdb2\log_shipping$\undo\undo_stagin
g_database.dat' [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 0) Remote access not allowed for Windows NT user activated by SETUSER. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 7410).
The step failed.

It's using a domain SQLservice account to run the stored procedures on both servers. The account is in the System Admin security group in SQL, as well as being a database owner for staging_database. It is also the owner of the Server Agent Job. I've seen this KB article and it's still not working:
ql2k

Any ideas where it's going wrong?

Update:
It looks like it's actually truncating the file name it generates when it tries to do the restore.

Backing up staging_database to DISK=\\devdb2\log_shipping$\staging_database\staging_database_20051020_1222_LOG.BAK
BACKUP LOG successfully processed 0 pages in 0.027 seconds (0.000 MB/sec).
Execute [devdb2].master.dbo.sp_ApplyStandByLog N'staging_database',N'\\devdb2\log_shipping$\staging_database\staging_database_20051020_1222_LOG.BAK',N'\\devdb2\log_shipping$\undo\undo_staging_database.dat'
Executing RESTORE LOG staging_database FROM DISK='\\devdb2\log_shipping$\staging_database\staging_database_200' WITH STANDBY='\\devdb2\log_shipping$\undo\undo_staging_database.dat
Server: Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
RESTORE LOG is terminating abnormally.
Server: Msg 3201, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Cannot open backup device '\\devdb2\log_shipping$\staging_database\staging_database_200'. Device error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more details.
Server: Msg 2754, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Error severity levels greater than 18 can only be specified by members of the sysadmin role, using the WITH LOG option.
Server: Msg 50000, Level 19, State 1, Procedure sp_ShipLog, Line 86
sp_ShipLog Error 2754 occurred on database staging_database to server devdb2 using backup file \\devdb2\log_shipping$\staging_database\staging_database_20051020_1222_LOG.BAK

Is the sqlexec account admin on both boxes? You might turn on profiler capture the sql statement, connect using the sqlexec account through QA and then run the statement that fails to get a better look at the eror message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back