Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Log Password 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASpark

Technical User
May 27, 2007
AU
Hey All,

i've just downloaded the Log Files off a client's BCM450 R5 April '10 patches, and it's asking for a password when i try to unpack the .tar log file, i know we don't give out passwords on the forum but has anyone heard of this and is there a nortel doc i can pull down off the support center that you know of with the password documented i'm drawing a blank :-(

Thanks Guys

BCM/CS1K/Cisco CM & CME Engineer

I have the same problem today very frustrating ??

If its not broke tweak it..

A google search makes it sound like a Linux issue...

NCSS NCTS NCTE

what search did you do ?

If its not broke tweak it..

(.tar password) is what I searched for...

NCSS NCTS NCTE

Many times, TAR files are simply a mechanism to connect a bunch of files together into one long file. I was not aware it could be encrypted. I believe the origination of "tar" was "tape archive" for using on tape backup systems. Since these files can be quite verbose in their uncompressed format, many times, these are also encrypted using a GZIP. So, what you end up with is a file with a suffix of ".tar.gz" Once you unzip it, you also have to untar it. There are ways under Linux to do both operations in one line using the utility "gunzip" This can be done easily on Linux systems, but not at easily done and and viewed on Windows platfoms. You might do well to simply try to view the tar archive with a text file viewer to see if the data appears to be encrypted. If it is just all concatinated together, but appears to be your log file, it may just need to be unTARed.

This link seemed to sum up what I said pretty well and provides a link to a tool that might help, but I've not used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back