Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Log onto W2K Server without logon

Status
Not open for further replies.

correro

Programmer
Nov 20, 2003
CN
I want to log onto Windows 2000 Server using a predefined username and password, instead of entering them after CTRL+ALT+DEL.

How can I do that? I remember that in Windows 2000 Professional you can find such configuration in Control Panel -> Users and Passwords. But I didn't find anything like that in Windows 2000 Server.

Please help!

I'm 99% sure you can't, as it will create a huge security hole in your network. If anyone has physical access to the server then they can get into the server as well.

I hope this helps,

Matthew

are you saying that i can't do this on W2K Server? if so, i'll give up

In Windows NT 4.0 it was pretty straight forward. Under Win2K; I got this from the JSIINC reghack site

In Windows 2000, those registry entries only apply to the first logon. To enforce these entries for subsequent logons, you must add the ForceAutoLogon value name to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon key, and set the data value to 1.

You understand that by setting a server to autologon that you're opening up a huge security hole in your network? Someone could walk in, reboot your server and have full access to your systems.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

You can preconfigure your logon using tweak GUI in control panel. I did it on one of our servers while i was working on it remotely, that way i could restart it from the remote location then not worry about having to be there to log on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back