Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Log off on taskbar missing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Officer57

IS-IT--Management
Jun 15, 2000
US
I've just reinstalled NT on some workstations. I've forgotten now where or how I did it before, but running NT4 with sp6A. How do I get the log off option back on the taskbar after clicking start. Also, some of the machine's quick lauch bars are gone or will not display. I know the settings travel with the profile since on some machines they are there and some they are not.

Thanks
Bob
bcouchman@madisonvillepd.com

Bob Couchman

The Log-Off and Quick-Launch buttons are all part of Active-desktop.
I recommend un-installing any higher version of IE, install IE 4.01 sp2 with Active Desktop, then re-upgrade to latest IE.
This will give you ur Log-Off and Quick-Launch stuff.

I have also seen another post in "Microsoft Internet Explorer" forum on how to install the Active Desktop using a higher version of IE, but I have never been successfull in getting it to work.

Good Luck!
>:):O> anongod@hotmail.com

"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."

I tried to look for information on installing the active desktop however, I can not locate any older versions of IE. We're using 5.5. Thanks for the help.

Bob Couchman

Hi Officer Bob!
This is where "geek" friends come in...surely someone you know has an old CD with an older version of IE on it.
Now that I think about it...one came with my NT installation stuff. Same should be for yours.
Good Luck.
John Payne

Here is the post from the Internet Explorer forum I mentioned. I've been told this works just fine, but I have only tried it once, and it did not work

Vancer7
To install active desktop run ie5 with the following switch

this is case sensitive

IE5SETUP.EXE /C:"ie5wzd /e:IE4Shell_NTx86"

Good Luck
>:):O> anongod@hotmail.com

"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back