Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Log Files Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kahmelion

MIS
Jan 3, 2001
US
This may be an elementary question in citrix but to my excuse I'm just starting to learn this stuff. I want to know if there is a log file that I can look at to see who has logged into the citrix servers and at what time? I looked in the management console but it only gives me bu so much information.[/b]

No, unless you run RMS!

I got round this by writing a utility for such information and now collect on a monthly basis:-
Server
User ID
User Name
Date
Time
Application
Client Name
IP Address
Client Version
Client Location

I can run this program in the usrlogon.cmd file for logins and I am trialling it in a logout script but won't work on disconnected sessions!

Cheers,
Carl.

Carl, looks like you've written a pretty cool utility. Something else to think of in the way of tracking users would be not only "what" applications the users run and "when" they are running them but also "how" they are using them; an active/loaded ratio. Are they just launching the app then minimizing it, or are they actually using it. This can be a very important element especially if you use this information for server sizing or application licensing.

FWIW, Mike

You may as well run RMS in that case and write everything to an SQL database!

Mine's a cheap and cheerful system to catch logins!

Cheers for the idea though!
Carl.

Thanks everyone the responses were very helpful!!

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back