Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Log Files and Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamdedrick

Programmer
May 23, 2001
GB
Is there any general solution for getting iis log files imported into a database so they can be analysed.

Thanks

I would say there are two solutions.

One would to write the log files directly to a database by selecting "ODBC Logging" instead of "W3C Extended log file format" or "NCSA Common log file format". You will also need to create a DSN or this to work. Be aware that this will put more load on the web server.

The other solution is to import the comma delimited log file into Access.

Thanks for the ideas but what I am after is a general purpose import routine for access that will read the log file types that IIS supports and populate a database, taking note of the field definitions in the log file.
I have used the ODBC logging for development and it is really helpful, but no good on a live server due to performance.

So if anyone knows of some reasonable code to do this, otherwise I am going to have to write one myself and that might take a while.

Thanks

Adam

I've seen the output from Net Tracker on log files and found it pretty comprehensive.

Go to to download an evaluation copy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back