Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LOG FILE SQL 2000 RESTRiCT GROWTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanB

Programmer
Jul 19, 2001
US
The log file is growing a great deal in our database is the best way to deal with this setup a scheduled Backup log file and then Shrink database then backup? Is there a way to restrict the log file from growing or is this a bad idea?

I would schedule regular backups, both full and transaction backups. I might even consider differential backups depending on the nature and frequency of the transactions. You can set the database to auto shrink or you can schedule a run to shrink it.

I don't believe it is a good idea to limit LOG growth. I believe it is important to monitor log growth.

Development of a backup strategy is critical. You would be wise to review backup topics in SQL BOL. I also recommend the following links for discussion of backup strategies.

Check these resources for information about shrinking the backup log.

Check the following resources.

Foxdev's FAQ183-345 in this forum.

Microsoft SQL 7 article

Microsoft SQL 2000 articles

At SWYNK.com
Terry L. Broadbent
faq183-874 contains some tips and ideas for posting questions in these forums. Please review it and comment if you have time.
NOTE: Reference to the FAQ is part of my signature and is not directed at any individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back