Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lockup when starting x-config during suse install

Status
Not open for further replies.

estesflyer

Programmer
Dec 19, 2000
US
I've tried installing suse 7.3 prof numerous, but each time there is no success.
I thought I had it installed and running properly sometime in the past, but I can't recall when or if I was using the same set of hardware as my current machine.

I havent tried installing w/out kde/gnome (which wouldn't install x either, right? no?) Of course, I'm wanting to dual boot with winxp and run *nix mainly as a desktop toy (For the time being anyways.) Anyways, it always locks up w/ the little x as the mouse cursor, and all the rest is a black screen. It appears as though all the files install or are copied and whatnot, and it even goes past the point where it creates a lilo boot disk. But I believe right after that point is where it locks up. This "linux stuff" is beginning to frustrate me. Well, it's always frustrated me, but more in a challenging way. I've never had problems installing linux. The thing linux installation always messes up when attempting to configure x. I've tried suse 7.3 prof, and red hat 7.1. All *appear* to conclude the same dissapointing results.

This seems to be a common error when attemping to load *nix after such a crash and a hard shutdown:

EXTZ-fs:unable to read superblock
isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=03:02, iso_blknum=16, block32
Kernel panic: VFS Unable to mount root fs on 03:02

Any ideas? Anyone?

Thanks again,

- Rusty

Hi,

I'm not familiar with Suse distrib, but there might be another boot loader supplied. It calls GRUB, and sometimes works better (depending on your hard drive geometry).

First of all, I think I would install Linux without any graphic support (X, Gnome ... sets), to avoid mixing problems. Are your graphic card and monitor supported ? Installing X series separately, you may try different versions of X servers (3.X & 4.X), latests are not necessary better ...

My apologies, but I'm simply a flat out newb in this *nix world, however it seems very fascinating.
I went through the installation process a third time. This time I chose install with safe settings (or something similar to that.) It worked! I guess third time's the charm in this case.

My moniter and my graphics card are both supported. Unforunately I'll have to look around a bit more to find a sound card driver. (sbaudigy)

Anyways, thanks for your comment nwardez.

TIA

- Rusty - Rusty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back