Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locking Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

maitakeboy

Technical User
Oct 22, 2002
US
I want to know if it is possible to lock a record as read-only once it has been created? Basically, I'mtrying to create a "Suggestions" database for people to submit their ideas about our company. I want everyone to be able to read other entries, but not edit them, but they must be able to create their own new records, which are then locked as read-only after they are done. Ideally, they would be able to edit their own records, but not others. Can this be done in Approach?

The way I have got around a similar problem in the past is to create an identical view to the data entry one, but make it read only.
When users enter their comments, they would be sent to the read-write view, via macros / buttons etc.
After they have submitted/entered their comments, the macro/button would redirect them to the read-only view.
It's a low-tec way of doing it, and is by no means fool-proof, but it does reduce the accidental deleting/amending of data by users.
Also, it doesn't care who the user is. (as approach isn't big on this anyway!)

I read a book once called '101 Things to do in Binary'.
It was the best 5 things I ever read.

Thomas,
Thank-you very much for responding to my plea! Unfortunately, I'm very inexperienced at anything even remotely programming-like. Could you give me further instruction on making this "macro", or point me in the direction of some instruction in this matter?
Again, thank-you very much.

Creating a macro within approach is quite straightforward, and doesn't really need any technical know-how. It's all point-and-click, and selecting commands from lists.

Do a search in the Approach Help for 'Creating New Macros' and follow the steps there. Once you see how it's done, you'll be able to create all the macros you need.

I read a book once called '101 Things to do in Binary'.
It was the best 5 things I ever read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back