Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locking error, "File already in use", Back- End, A2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

smuckers

Programmer
Mar 5, 2002
US
I have a split MS Access 2000 database, unsecured, on a network. The FE is shared via a common shortcut. The program locks out multiple users. When I click directly on the BE file, the error message, "Could not use "G:\Database_be.mdb"; file already in use" displays.

I also tried opening a second front end copy of the database and the data from the back end is also not available.

It seems the shortcut is somehow opening the database and locking the back end.

I have used a common shortcut using different version of Access before, ie. '97 & '2000 with a split database without this type of error. Currently, we are using XP operating system with Office 2000.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and help you may give.

couple of situation could apply here.

do you all have FULL PERMISSIONS on the server (to add, edit, delete, read, modify)
could be that they can't edit the .ldb file once someone has it open.

any users have their default OPEN MODE OPTION in ACCESS set at OPEN EXCLUSIVE? to check: open any db, select TOOLS - OPTIONS, click the ADVANCED TAB and look at top right - DEFAULT OPEN MODE. If it is set on EXCLUSIVE - This would lock out anyone else.

I can't imagine how a shortcut could cause the problem, but if you don't use the shortcut do you have the problem?
and what is the target of the shortcut?
should be something like: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "c:\db.mdb"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back