Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

locking down Citrix desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithv719

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2002
US
I am running Citrix PS 4.0 on a 2003 box and I cant seem to get the desktop totally locked down. I am giving the min access to the users to run progams but if one deletes a desktop icon it removes it for everyone. I've tried various options in group policy with no success. I just want to lock down the desktop so users cannot delete icons.. any ideas?

update: i locked down the icons in the All Users desktop folder under My Docs to prevent anyone from deleting them, but would like to find a better solution if one exists.

Keith - were you able to get any resolution here? i'm pretty new to Citrix and brand, spankin' new to GP. i'd like to do something similar so they have minimal items on the Desktop but i want domain admins to have everything when they logon. can you give me any direction for how you would/have handled this?

another option here would be to create a windows mandatory user profile.. prevents changes being made to the system, desktop etc.. changes can be made, but are not save on logout.. this could get a little frustrating for settings like outlook signatures etc, because i dont know if these would save either??

maybe worth a try?
hope this may help!
James

Create a new folder called "desktop" somewhere on the server. Make sure NTFS permissions give users only Read access to the desktop. Put shortcuts to only the things you want the end user to see in there. Setup a GPO to redirect the desktop (Administrative Templates\Windows Settings\Folder Redirection). I believe "Use Group Policy loop back processing mode" should be enabled on the Local Security Policy of the server as well to make this work.

What I do is put all my icons into a folder on the administrators desktop. I then remove all the icons from the All Users Desktop. As I add users, I pick and put only the icons that that users needs. I have many users in accounting dept but some users need only some icons on their desktop and they all used published desktops.

Why don't you forget about what icons they have on their desktop and just give them everything they need in the startmenu. You can customize the startmenu via a GPO too (and lock it down too). Works awesome. Users still have the ability to customize their desktop in theri roaming profile.

HOPE THIS HELPS :)

Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back