Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locking down a network share

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpeterson

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2005
CA
We have Windows server 2003 in a domain environment, users have mapped drives to our data server for accessing client files. I would like to know if there is anyway at all to prevent users from copying ANYTHING from that mapped drive to their local disk? They have to be able to access the files and work on them like normal but the trick is to make it so they cant take a copy of that data for their own. I am not sure if that is even possible.

Second thing is I was also wondering if it was possible to fully lock down the local disk on the users computer. We would ideally like to give them one folder on the C:\ drive that they can put data there if they absolutely had to. I am assuming that the user would have to have full rights to their profile on the machine. Pretty much we just want everything as locked down as possible while still allowing everyone to do their work. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

Kyle P

Wow, what a request. I'm not sure how easily locking down a file share could be. Maybe see if new versions of RMS would work??? Not sure. The use of sharepoint in place of network shares which can use RMS would work for you. If your shares are on NAS I think they may be some NAS utilities for that. Not sure.

As for the second request, maybe play around with redirection and gpos??? That is a tricky one since most users need some sort of elevated permissions to run applications locally and that would allow them to be able to create new folders. Sorry not more help.

Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back