Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locking cells in Excel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hkvanx

Technical User
Jun 3, 2002
US
Hi:

I have designed a decision support system. I want to lock all cells except a few that I will allow users to input and change perimeters in. So far I am having trouble doing that. It appears the whole worksheet would be locked which is not what I am aiming for. Could some direct me to a solution? Thanks

-Howard

Highlight the cells you would like to unlock, using Ctrl. Go to Format, Cells, Protection, and uncheck locked. Now, going back to your sheet, select Tools, Protection, Protect sheet. Everything but those cells you unlocked is now locked/protected.

Hi
In xl 97 onwards all cells are 'locked by default. Before that you had to select which cells to lock!

Select the cells you wish to leave free for input
Go FORMAT>CELLS and choose the PROTECTION tab
Untick the Locked option and OK it
Go TOOLS>PROTECTION>PROTECT SHEET
and RYMB

;-) If a man says something and there are no women there to hear him, is he still wrong?

Hi
In xl 97 onwards all cells are 'locked' by default. Before that you had to select which cells to lock!

Select the cells you wish to leave free for input using any method you like
Go FORMAT>CELLS and choose the PROTECTION tab
Untick the 'Locked' option and OK it
Go TOOLS>PROTECTION>PROTECT SHEET
and RYMB

;-) If a man says something and there are no women there to hear him, is he still wrong?

Carr, Loomah: Thanks for you replies, the suggestions worked out great. Thanks again.

Dunno who gave the star here but thanks
However as carr's suggestion was exactly the same (how could it be different) it must deserve a star so I've given one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back