Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locking a record

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDG1234

Programmer
Jun 26, 2001
GB
Hi guys

I have a quick question for you wizards out there.

My database is used my multiple users and they are updating records.

The update screen retrieves the record for editing by way of the recordset that I have written.

It is possible for multiple users to open the same record for updating at the same time.

I would like to work it so that as soon as you open the update screen you lock it so that is the guy next to you tries to open it you can't and it displays a message telling you this and also the beggar that has it open.

Any ideas????

Help is appreciated....thankyou Lloyd Gozzett
Process Developer

Access has locking permissions set per table. you can set locking to the entire table (ie Unshared), the records you are editing, or no records.

(Tools, options, advanced, record locking - Can also be set for individual forms tables and queries)

Setting it to record you are editing is the most common, but depending on the size of the record may lock a number of records either side of one you are editing.

If two people try to edit the same record, the second person will get a warning saying it is locked. I have never tried to write any custom code that is triggered on lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back