Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locked Records- how to unlock them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradleyhorn

Technical User
Sep 15, 2004
US
Hi All,

During a forms rollout some of my users used an old copy of a form on a new datatable definition. The old form works fine to make new records but there are issues when they go to update old records. Those issues include locking the records they tried to update. The Error/Lock message says:

This record has been changed by another user since you started editing it.

There are a number of options which include: Save changes, Drop Changes, Copy to Clipboard.

How do I unlock these records? 1)Restart the server? 2)Or is there a more gentile way maybe through Enterprise Manager?

Bradley

When you try to edit a record and receive this message
"This record has been changed by another user since you started editing it.", it sounds like a coding problem. Review the On Click event of the various options you indicate "Save changes, Drop Changes, Copy to Clipboard."

HTH

An investment in knowledge always pays the best dividends.
by Benjamin Franklin
Autonumber Description - FAQ702-5106

Mph1,

That is the error message that I am refering to and the buttons are on the error alert. I am not sure you understood.

The records are locked and I need to unlock them. There locking was created by using the old (well functioning) form to try and update records stored in a new datatable definition. Any other ideas to unlock the records?

I appreciate any help, Thanks
Bradley

If these buttons are on the error alert message, it is probably a pop-up form from code.

Since some of the fields are locked, try making a new form that is identical to the current one (don't make a copy of the form) and insert the fields you wish to have. This way no code wil be carried forward. The default value of a field is to allow edits. See if this works.

There are way to lock and unlock fields. Again, give this a try and see how it works out.

It is difficult for me to completely understand what your exact situation is, especially, if I can't see it. I am assuming that you are able to get into the desing view and the database is an .mdb and NOT a.mde file.

HTH

An investment in knowledge always pays the best dividends.
by Benjamin Franklin
Autonumber Description - FAQ702-5106

The message box is not contained code. It is an Access built in error. There are various issues to consider.

Look at this KB article at MS:

This is neither the exact problem or solution for my problem. However, the MS knowledgebase has some others I am exploring.

My situation is that I am using an Access project to retrieve records from a SQL db. I set the recordsource property of the form to a sql string that pulls one record.

Based on certain actions, I then set other values and run a DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord

The error comes right when that is called.

I'll try to remember to post my solution when I solve it.

Matthew Moran

Matthew,

Thanks for your story. I was thinking it was some sort of Access problem as I couldn't fix it in the larger SQL database with enterprise manager.

I ended up doing was deleting all the records that were locked, in SQL query analyzer, and recreating them later. My job was not so hard as there were only a few of them.

Bradley

has anyone figured out a better solution than deleting all the records and recreating them because I am having the same problem as I think all my records are locked as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back