Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

locked out of workstation at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

duff64

MIS
Jun 11, 1999
US
Visit site
hello all,<br>
<br>
I have windows NT dual booted on my machine at home with win 98. I cannot remember the password on the NT side. Is there anyway that I can by pass it to reset it? I have heard there is a way to hack, not asking for that, just want to know my options.<br>
<br>
Thanks<br>
<br>
DUFF

Option 1: Hack.<br>
Option 2: Boot to 98, copy all required data from the NT partition and reinstall NT.<br>
Option 3: can't think of a third option.

without physical security, there is no security. <br>
<br>
if NT & Win95 are both on FAT partitions, download cracking tool from <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <br>
cracking could finish in 10secs or 10hrs depending on your forgotten pw and speed of processor<br>
<br>
If NT is on an NTFS partition, use NTFSDOS utility to read SAM file <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"><br>
<br>

I've heard that it's possible to extract passwords from pagefile.sys, but I haven't tried myself.

I don't think so. Actually extracting NT passwords are very difficult depending on the amount of characters in the password, since the password is not actually stored, only a hash number. <p>John D. Saucier<br><a href=mailto:jsauce@net1plus.com>jsauce@net1plus.com</a><br><a href= Backup</a><br>

If you use NT a lot a great tool to get is ERD Commander from <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> With this you'll be able to mount the NT registry and see which accounts have administrative rights and change those accounts passwords. Doesn't matter if the parttion is NTFS or FAT.<br>
<br>
The tool has other cool utilities on it, but it does cost a couple bucks. <br>
<br>
Check it out. It's worth the money if you work with NT.

I like SYSINTERNALS. I also recommended someone going to them for a swapfile defragmentation tool. I like this company they have a lot of good stuff. <p>John D. Saucier<br><a href=mailto:jsauce@net1plus.com>jsauce@net1plus.com</a><br><a href= Backup</a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back