Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locked out of WinSPM, Can I reset the passwords?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Alijah1

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2004
US
Hi, I recently started at a company where the phone/IT tech left a few months ago and never documented anything. I found the WinSPM system (it wasn't labeled), and had to hack the Administrator password from a Linux Boot floppy. So now I have console access to the PC, but no login information for the WinSPM application.

I would rather not uninstall/reinstall the application (I have the install media) as I dont want to have to reconfigure it, etc. Is there a way to reset the passwords from outside the application (registry, file edit, etc) or is there a common default login/password I can try?

Thanks for any and all help!

I've run into this problem myself, and here's my solution - there might be a better one, but it did work!
Depending on how it was installed, you need to look for winspm.ini - it should be in \program files\avaya solutions\winspm, but do a search for it. Then,
[Usage]
DesktopSetupIsComplete=True
SomePasswordIsSet=True

I change both of these to False, save the file, and run WinSPM again. It should come up as a "new" install...
I haven't tried this one yet myself, but there is a line
[Logins]
Password=xxxxxxx
You might try blanking out whatever is there - it seems to be encrypted, and see if it asks you to reset your password.
I hope this works for you!

The password in the .ini file is weakly encrypted, such that each character is exactly 1 character off from the true value. So then ABE would show up as ZAD.

Pepperz@charter.net

Thanks for the suggestions, quincyb and Pepperz, I really appreciate it!

After trying every combination of login and password I could think of, and scanning every document the old admin left, examining the margins of his pages looking for hints or other notes, after decrypting the .INI file, the magic password wound up being "test".

I could have strangled him =)

Well, now I am in WinSPM, but don't have the password for the switch itself (Merlin Legend). When I get in the office tomorrow I will try some of the possible passwords I have noted, but if none of them works, I assume I can either view, or change the switch password using the main admin phone.

Could someone point me in the direction of finding or changing the switch password? Sorry to be such a newbie at this but I am a network administrator, phone system administration is a new requirement on me.

Again, thanks to all, you have been a great help!

-1alijah1

If you connect directly to the system's admin port, a srial connection, there is no password needed.

Pepperz@charter.net

Thanks for the tip, Pepperz.

The system was configured to use a modem for dial-in to the switch. The default Avaya cr***** password was accepted and got me into the system.

I have finally been able to add our two new CS reps to the CS Call Group, program their stations accordingly and everyone has stopped beating me up. YAY!

Thanks guys!
-1Alijah1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back