Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locked out of a table

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmatlock

Technical User
Aug 27, 2001
US
I have a database designed by a person who is now gone. They made the the front end integrated to the table so you can only access the table from the front end. If you try to open, query, or build forms on the table it gives the following message:

you do not have the necessary permissions to use the 'S:\etc\etc.mdb' object. Have your
sysetm administrator or the person who created this object establish the appropriate
permissions for you.

There are no passwords used to enter the database, or other security features that seem to be obvious. How do you do this, and more importantly, how do you undo it?

Thanks for the help,

Dan

They implelmented Access security. If done correctly, you'll have a hard time breaking it.

If they didn't implement security properly, make a copy of "System.mdw" from a computer that doesn't have access to the database, copy it to your computer, and join that workgroup. It's worth a shot, but probably won't work.

Did the person leave their password and username? If so, you'll have no problem if you log on as the administrator. If they didn't, did they leave on good terms with the company? If so, I'd call them and ask for the username and password, as well as the name and location of the .mdw file.

If all that fails, try creating a new database, and importing the table. If you can't do that, can you link to the table, then create a Make Table query to make a new table?

If that doesn't work, you're in trouble. There are people out there who can crack Access security - even if implemented properly - but I'm not one of them.

Hi

I have found a whacking great security hole which can be used in this occasion: Open Excel and import the table - it seems to ignore Access security - then export the data from excel to a new table in a different database.
You might need to do a bit of tidying up afterwards in the table design, but it shouldn't be much.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back