Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locked Files on Win2000 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

lako

MIS
Dec 14, 2003
DE
Hi there,

I got a problem w/ a Win2k Server. After updating some clients machines from Win98 to XP following happens quite often: Files opened, edited and closed w/o errors messages withing Word or Excel are marked as 'opened' on the server. These files can not be edited, saved or deleted afterwards, because the server thinks they are used by a client. I can change the file status on the server manually, but this is no solution.

Any ideas? I would appreciate them. ;-)

Kind regards,

Lars

----
Affected system: Win2000 Server SP3

I am having this exact same issue. We have users opening files and then they close them but in comuter management it still shows the file as being open so if anyone else tries to open the file they get a message that the file is in use or can't be saved.

After digging around I found KB329170 and after applying this fix to both the server and the clients I have not had an issue of the server leaving files open after the client closes them.

Acually, today I also installed this patch on one client for testing purpose, but not yet on the server. ;-)

Hello,

I have been experiencing this problem on my Windows 2000 SP3 domain (all XP SP1 clients). We are getting lots of problems with what appears to be sessions being left open on the server, consequently users cannot rename/delete/save certain files. The problem is system wide and appears fairly random. I have looked at the MS article KB329170, but it does not appear to address the situation as clearly as I would like. Can anyone throw any further light onto this please?

We are running Veritas BackupExec which, as far as I'm aware, has never caused such problems I have had it disabled for periods of time before, and the problem still appeared. The AV is Sophos not Norton, and I have tried turning this off too. Any further ideas anyone?

I've encountered this only on MS Office XP without SP1. One workaround is to activate the program first(Excel, Word) then open the file. OR apply Office XP latest service pack. It's no guarantee but hopes it will work for you.

We are using MS Office 2000, and it is not just happening with office files but many files including jpegs, mp3s etc.

jamesmadams,

I know that the KB329170 article doesn't address the problem like it is what you are experiencing (it didn't with mine either) but after talking to Microsoft and having them explain it and then applying the patch to both the servers and clients it cleared up the problem for us.

mquinn0908. Thanks for the reply. I have looked into this further this morning, and have realised that 329170 is already applied to both servers and clients (we run SUS to update patches), so this one hasn't worked. Any further thoughts/ideas?

Thanks,
James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back