Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lock modem port speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjtucker

MIS
Feb 12, 2004
US
I need to lock down a modems port speed to 9600bps-8 databits, no parity. Does anyone know the exact syntax to use once connected thru Hyperterminal and how can I check it make sure it will stay if the modem is turned off? Its a US Robotics external 56k modem. Thanks for your help.

It's been a few years (OK, more like 10) since I had to deal with configuring actual dialup modems, but I recall two ways of doing this.

1. On certain models of modem, (USR Courier comes to mind) you could restrict the connection speed via DIP switches on the back of the modem.

2. The other way was to issue commands via the modem's initialization string. The INIT string is usually passed to the modem by the application that is going to use the modem, and it controls all sorts of settings like the ones that you need to set. However, if another application initializes the modem with a different INIT string then the modem will take that configuration. And of course, power cycling the modem will usually reset it to factory defaults.

In most cases, Windows itself will send an INIT string to the modem at startup (assuming that it detects the modem's presence). To control the INIT string that Windows uses, pull up the modem's properties in Device Manage and check the Advanced tab. Of course, someone could always use another application to reinitialize the modem if they wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back