Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lock Down Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2007
GB
Hi,

We are a newbie site - just setting up and starting to use BES (about 11 users).

I have noticed that the Blackberrys we have given out are being customised by the users (new themese etc) and software being downloaded. It would be handy while us in the IT department are still getting to grips - if we could lock down the units until we are up and running and comfortable supporting them.

I remember reading somewhere there was a standard policy that Blackberry provide to get up and running with locking down units - is this true? Or are there certain rules that BES administrators change straight away.

Any help would be great

a

Two words - IT Policy

You can lock it down as much as you like, there are hundreds of settings to configure. When you activate a device it gets the DEFAULT "out of the box" IT Policy. This can be amended or you can create new ones but each device can only have one policy applied at any one time. However, you can move users between policies very easily and over-the-air, no need to cradle the device.

Be careful though, make sure you understand the ramificaitons of the changes you are making. You can lock it down too much. I would recommend creating a new policy, which will get the standard default settings to start with. Then make whatever changes you want and move a user to that policy to test it (before moving your CEO and p*ssing him off ;-))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back