Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locations. How to use them properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

john3voltas

Technical User
Nov 12, 2013
PT
Hi there.
I don't know when Locations were added to IPO.
It seems to be a somewhat recent addition. Like, probably since R9 or R10.

How can I use Locations? For what purpose was this added to the system?
I see these can be added to the extensions and to the trunks. But what for?
I was hoping that this would give us the ability to elect a specific codec like g729 for calls going from location ID 1 to Location ID 2 and sticking to g711 for calls inside the same Location. But I don't see how this could be done...
Am I missing anything here?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers

If you have a h.323 trunk between locations and want them to use g.729 for the calls from system to system then you can set the codec on it but if you use the same connection for calls out a trunk on the other location then you cannot make that distinction.

Locations are used for IP phones so that you can setup a network and tell them to use a certain ARS to send the correct 911 information as well as change the time zone and limit their number of calls to ensure the main location has enough call paths to make and receive calls.

If you have all the phones in the same location then it is not needed and I have to say that I only ever used it to set the time on the phones correctly and send the 911 information out with the correcly registered DID.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Hi Westi.
Thanks for clearing that up.
It's a shame that IPO still doesn't have a way to specify which codecs to use and in which case they should be used.
CM does this with network regions and codec sets. Very simple. I just thought IPO Locations could be used for that...
IPO still has a veeery long way to go.
Thanks.
Cheers

you can specify but you cannot specify when to use which codec for what type of call.

You can set the trunk between the 2 sites to g.729 and the system preferred codec to g.711 that will then have internal calls with better codec than system to system calls.

I seem to have misread the initial post and thought you make outside trunk calls via system to system to SIP trunk

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back