Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

(local) vs. named instance

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricMa

Technical User
Aug 10, 2000
US
I've got what should be a very easy question, but I'm having a hard time coming up with an answer. I'm only running one instance of SQL Server, however, sometimes when I attach a database, the instance appears as (local) and sometimes it appears as (Server_Name). Could someone please tell me why this difference occurs? Not a problem, but something that is bugging me. Thanks.

It does not really matter. On the database server, it will show up as [Local] for the user that installed it, or everyone that is an administrator on the server. You can delete the registration in E.M and re-register under the server name if you like. I do that so that I am 100% sure what system I am messing with, especially when I have 5 terminal service windows open...

SQL/SAP DBA

Also, the "local" instance tends to be the default unnamed instance of SQL Server.

Of course, you can have your server registered as Local when it is actually a named instance, depending on how things got set up.

BTW, following Joeybear23's advice about re-registering it is a great way of maintaining consistancy in your network. Don't be afraid of "deleting" a registration. All you're doing is deleting a pointer record (sorta) and then re-adding it under a different name. You're not actually deleting SQL Server or any of the databases.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
Remember, "Work" is a four letter word. And you know what your mother told you about using four letter words!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back